Rough & Ready

I love the climbing community because, in my experience, you can show up anywhere and there will be awesome, gracious people ready to take you out on an adventure, and it was no different in Las Cruces, New Mexico. 

Josh, myself, and our new friend Trent, climbed into his open-air jeep and traveled some off-roads to the Rough & Ready Hills where volcanic tuff--a brittle, light, porous rock--makes this area the second most popular to the nearby Organ Mountains. 

There are over 40 routes in four different crag areas, many of them still in development which made this excursion particularly exciting. For a warm-up, I led this 5.9 slab route, "Blood, Sweat, and Steers" on which I actually broke a sweat, not just because the desert sun was beating down on us, but because the crux was height dependent! 
At first, giant flies made resting spots of our legs and I felt like a horse kicking my feet around as I belayed Trent and Josh, but it didn't take very long for the sun to move over the hillside throwing our Reddi-Wip Area into wonderful shade.
This little crag pup is Fiona, and she photo-bombed our picture! 

Some rain started to trickle in on us, so we packed up and headed out.

Tomorrow, my friend and I will be summiting one of Colorado's fourteeners, and I could not be more stoked to share the adventure!

4 comments

  1. I wish I could be more adventurous as you!! But my fear of heights just won't allow! Love the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adventures are big and small ;) thank you boo

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to get into climbing! What a cute pup. Have fun tomorrow and be safe!

    Lisa
    Strum Simmer Sip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! My friend and I didn't make it to the top of the 14er, but it's all about the experience, even when it's an attempt haha!

      Delete

< > Home
ELLIPSIS © - DESIGNED BY HERPARK